As we breathe, oxygen enters the lungs via the windpipe, bronchial tree and alveoli. In the alveoli, oxygen enters the blood as carbon dioxide escapes. Together with the kidneys, intestines and skin the lungs share the role of removing waste.
(Click on image for larger version)
Respiratory disorders manifest as congestion, spasm, infection and inflammation. Congestion is caused by an over production of mucus which congests the lungs an ideal environment for infection to flourish. If left untreated, this congestion eventually leads to a degeneration of the respiratory organs. Spasms (cough, asthma) is caused by persistent irritation, congestion or narrowing of the bronchial tree.
Herbs can help by:
- Stimulating respiratory muscles and nerves, encouraging loosening and removal of mucus
- Relaxing and easing tension in lung tissue and promoting the flow and removal of mucus
- Normalizing the respiratory system to bring it back into balance
- Lubricating, protecting, coating and soothing irritated or inflamed tissue
- Combating acute and chronic infections
Some common respiratory problems include:
- Bronchial Congestion